2004/07/05

If things are expensive, it means they're good.

So a little while back there was a news paper article stating that once again Tokyo is the most expensive city you can ever find. Oh, and Osaka came in at #4, not that that's anything to scoff at but it just goes to prove that Japan is an incredibly expensive country to do anything in. And when you do get to do that something, it's usually of the smallest degree because there are a million other people trying to do the same thing.

I've asked Japanese friends about why certain things are so expensive and they normally just give me the, "I dunno, it just is." line and it's left at that. Why is a movie theater ticket $20? I dunno. Why are all hotels on a per person basis when your only using the one room? I dunno. Why is Japan's staple food so expensive? Dunno. (Hint: They abuse tariffs to protect their over priced shenanigans.) Why is this melon $100? That's a special melon. I don't even want to get started on the obligatory "Thank you" money you have to pay when you move to a new apartment and the other things you are expected of at that time.

So if any of these types of questions baffle you like they do me, then this might be something you'd like to read. It answers why prices with most everything here is so inflated and why you don't see too much foreign influence in Japan. The mindset of ignorant Japanese consumers and the blatantly rigged distribution system.

The more I read about Japan, the less gung-hoe I am about investing in it's future. This isn't to totally rip on the country because there are a lot of good things going for it. I just want to raise some issues that always seem to be skirted around.

Why are Prices in Japan so darn Expensive?

It's a pretty long read but I found a lot of it to be really interesting even if the tone is a little whinny at times.

No comments: