2004/09/27

Tokyo Game Show 2004



Well another Tokyo Game Show is all over with and this year was a doozy. Lots of big games and new releases I could get my hands on. Games such as Halo 2, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Resident Evil 4 of which I also have 4 demo discs. (he he he)

I saw the newly designed PS2 which was a surprise seeing as I only heard about its existance the day before the show. Looked real nice but the only reason I took pictures of it was because I thought it was a hella thin Olson Twin, and when I looked back through my pictures I found the new PS2 instead. Which, I guess, is ok too.

Mmmmm....what else? I tried out Metal Gear Acid (boo), and the FPS Coded Arms (meh) on Sony's new PSP. The PSP was ok. A little bigger than I imagined. I expected a little more out of it though seeing as people have said its got as much power as the PS2 which I assure you it does not. Maybe the 3rd generation games coming out for it may come up to the low PS2 standard currently set, but I don't see it happening soon. Plus Sony better have one hell of a battery if they want to light up that big beautiful screen for more than 4 hours on one charge, if not then they'll still sell an ass load but there will be a lot of unhappy twenty something's.

One thing that surprised me about it was the analoge. Instead of a control with depth like a normal analoge stick, this was more like a tiddly wink that had horizontal travel. Worked alright but my thumb kept sliding off because the pad is like a meat tenderizer texture and not a rubbery nub, plus it's got some weight to it pulling back to a center position.

And the boo for Metal Gear Acid comes from it being a grid type strategy game. You move your allowed squares and get a menu of options for what you want Snake to do when you've arrived. Lame.

I also just found out that I was on CNN when they showed footage of the show. That's pretty cool. But don't tell Yumiko anything because I was supposed to be at home sick that day. Oops! (Just kidding.)

As for freebies this year, things were kinda slim. I recieved a few demo discs (mostly for PS2, which I don't have, but what else would I expect getting at a Japanese game show.) and passed on all the stupid ads and papers. Capcom was giving away reflective green wrist slappers/wrap around things and Microsoft demo's for Phantom Dust, some SNK fighting game and some other Metal Wolf game I haven't tried yet. Oh and capcom also gave out dvd's with lots of cool new movies on, like Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7. I also filled out a survey at the Famitsu booth but I have to wait for that surprise to arrive in the mail.

If you want to check out all the pictures I took at the show, just check them out here. But I warn you, there's a foxy cross-dresser shuffled into the mix.

No comments: