2005/01/24

Beastie Boys: Live at the Budokan

Here are some photos from the recent Beastie Boys concert in Tokyo. Or should I say the really great Beastie Boys concert in Tokyo. There was a questionable opening act (Le Tigre), which everyone thought was made up of three girls but the high kick section of the performance showed everyone that one of the girls had a set of man balls. I thought they sounded a little New York breathy like Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's and similar to but a little more funky rock/retro than Sleater Kinney. I later found out that one of the lead singers was the head of Bikini Kill all those years ago so that probably explains it. After those hosers took off and the Beastie Boys finally hit the stage it was an hour and a half of booty shakin'.



MikeD started the set with a 5 minute bit of scratching and record bending and behind the backing playing up the crowd then AdRock, MikeD, and MCA jumped up on stage and into eggman, and didn't stop until they were far into their material. Lots of older songs (Body Movin', Brass Monkey, ect) and stuff from their new album (chk chk chk it out, Open letter to New York). Then about 2/3's the way threw they went back stage leaving the crowd to catch their breath and watch some funny videos on the big screen.

Some of the pieces where shot outside before the show of attendees requesting songs, telling stories of why they're there, and some guys rapping to the camera. And some of the videos where of there own creation.



One of which was of (I think) the percussionist (fat man with an afro) sitting in front of the camera listening to Limp Bizket, taking a big bong hit and holding... holding... holding... then weaving and leaning and eventually smacking his head into the table making the music skip and chipping his tooth in the process.



After the videos were finished, the lights dimmed even more, and some ambiance music came from the speakers. Then a patio lantern rimmed stage was wheeled front and center carrying the band, in cheesy foam blue ruffled suits and their gear with it.



For the next 15 minutes or so they dove into their jazz material which was awesome and really quiet and low key. Then things picked up a little more and more and more and for the final blow they got into Sabotage and actually got the Japanese crowd (unrequested mind you) into a froth and crowd surfing and the whole deal. They had so much momentum leading up to that moment so that when it hit it was just crazy and had everybody going nuts and jumpin around.



You'll notice I don't have any pictures posted at that time cause it was about the last thing I wanted to do everybody was so caught up. I did have a little low-res video recording on my camera, but it's shaking so much that it's almost unwatchable. The audio is still ok though, but I can hear myself and I sound like an idiot (drunk?) so that one's just for me.



Then in typical Japanese fashion, once 9 o`clock hit, the house lights turned on and they exited stage left.



The show was really cool just for being at the Budokan in the first place. This is the big sumo arena for those that don't know and it is a huge yard surrounded by thick, tall walls and a large moat all protecting this big Japanese styled building. Inside is a ringed colluseum type set up, where half of it was blocked off because the band was in the middle floor/"pit" and it would suck to have to watch everything from the back. This place usually focuses on sumo matches in a small ring so all of the seating is situated as close as possible to the center and nothing is very far away. Even if you had a seat in the back you'd still think it was a pretty good seat. I never thought we'd be as close as we were and we weren't that close compared to other seats. I could see what color their sun glasses were from my seat which is pretty good.

Also being in Tokyo I imagined the place to be swarming, but there was a pleasant amount of people there. I'm not sure the total, but I'd say it was in the ball park of 3-4,000. Not that much at all anyway so it was more intimate than I expected too.

I have some other low-res clips from the show I can email out to some friends if they want. Just send me an email and I'll send a few off to you.



No comments: