2004/11/12

If feel more Christmas in that Wham! song than I do in Japan

Well, more earthquakes in the night waking up little sleeping me but nothing else is new. I really just wanted to share a conversation that I had around the supper table with the family last night.

It went a little something like this;
Yo: So when's Christmas again?
Yu: December 25th.
Yo: Ah ok. I work on the 25th so how about we have a party on the 24th?
Yu: Eh?! But we already reserved the Christmas cake for the 25th! Why didn't you tell me you worked that day?
Yo: Ah, my mistake. Well, phone the shop today to see if we can change it. While you're at it, phone Kentucky (KFC) and make an order for the 24th too.
Yu: ....ok
Yo: Oooo, Dale, meat!
Da: ......
Yo: Christmas cake and kentucky! Looking forward to this year's Christmas, eh?!

And that's how the last three years of Christmas has played out for little ol' me. A strawberry cake and lining up for Kentucky Fried Chicken with the rest of the Japanese population while shielding my eyes from the tacky "Happy Christmas '99" sign blinking and blinding all who dare look at it.

Another Christmas tradition in Japan is to take the one you love out for a nice meal. You know, to show how much you love them. Too bad half of that time is standing outside with all the other couples waiting for a table because of the first come first serve restaurants that have burned me in the past.

Then after the supper your supposed to go look at "illumination". Illumination is as you may have guessed, is a light show in the spirit of Christmas. And the whole crew is there. Creepy robot Santa's herking and jerking around all corners bringing young ones cheer and joy, banners proclaiming "Happy Christmas!" and "Christmas #1!" hugging your senses and Christmas songs sung in Japanese to really get the holiday cheer stirred up.

"Hey this is Jingle Bells.", I would say, only to hear from the kids around my legs. "Eh? There's an English version of it?"

One good thing to come out of Christmas in Japan has been my personal relationship that I've formed with Yumiko's coat rack. Throughout the year it just stands in the corner of her room doing it's job, but since I've come along, I've asked it for a special favour around the holiday's. And that is to stand over my presents with it's broad branches and thick trunk. I vow to actually decorate it this year and give it a proper uniform for its Christmas duties.

So this year, on Christmas Day, as you gather around a large home cooked meal with family and friends. With the warmth of the house from the chilly winter air and the soft glow from the tree, know that Japan is doing its best to imitate another holiday they have no understanding of.

No comments: