2004/11/18

Today's lesson

As you all know, I'm an English teacher in a Junior High School in Japan. What you may not know is the type of tripe I have to correct on a weekly basis. Now's the perfect opportunity for some show and tell, don't you think?

Today I had my students hand in what they had four weeks to work on. I repeat. Four weeks. The teacher I work with made the assignment which was for the students to research and write about something from Okinawa. (The small island south of Japan that's also apart of the country.)

I got a few that were nice and expected because they satisfied the tasks of the assignment, but most of them were like the mess italicized below.

Suchiko is a long ago refrigeration of nothing age keep of pork Okinawan tradition dish spread.

Salt soak but no salty it sake of knob as be grad article.


I know Suchiko is food (because he had a picture glued on underneath) but that's about it.

If I handed this pile of words in as my homework in grade school I would be told to do it again without a doubt. Especially after getting four weeks to do it and two and a half years of English lessons. Just a little angry because this is how most of them were and always have been.

And that's how my day was today. I'm going to go home tonight and eat chocolate for supper and make a Christmas shopping list for my family to try and cheer up.

No comments: